Wednesday, August 03, 2005

elvis has left the city...

we went to see elvis costello in concert last night at the pageant theatre. amazing show! he and the band played a really long set and then a 40 minute encore. his voice is still as raw and heart-breakingly soulful as it was when i was new-wave bopping to his music in college. which brings me to my topic for today...how do i get my mind around the fact that i am middle-aged?

last night as we were standing in line to get into the theatre, i looked up and down the line at the other concert-goers. i thought, "wow, this crowd is pretty old!" (i know it was mean, but i'm being honest here and that's what i thought.) kelly pointed out that elvis costello has been making music since the late 1970's. is it possible that i have been rocking to elvis for that long?

seated two rows in front of us was a group of couples. if i had to guess, i would say they were mostly mid to late 40s. all the women had blonde bobbed hair and their menfolk had the haircut of the middle-aged man--short-cropped almost to the scalp. they were all dancing like no one was watching and singing as if they were in their shower at home. kelly and i had almost as much fun watching them as we did listening to elvis! and that's when it dawned on me...these people, my peers, are all young-hearted. most of my friends in their 40s are so free-spirited it is hard to equate their biological age with their ageless wonder. after my "a-ha" moment i stood up and sang along and danced right along with the music.

my aim is true...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"most of my friends in their 40s are so free-spirited it is hard to equate their biological age with their ageless wonder" Uh, excuse me, Heidi, this describes many of your friends who are in their 50's...

Anonymous said...

What is middle-age? And who says so?