Monday, September 18, 2006

whew...

if you're a long-time reader, you already know that in december of 2004 a te-niny little bit of colon cancer was discovered when i underwent an emergency colon-resection/appendectomy. even though i was fortunate enough to not have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy (the cancer was in the very earliest stages), i do now have have a five-year oncology treatment plan replete with colonoscopies, ct scans, blood work and doctors' visits.

last tuesday i had my ct scan and although the logical part of my brain knows that there is nothing wrong (my type of colon cancer hardly ever recurs), the emotional side of my brain often works itself into a tizzy until i get the results from my oncologist. today, a full six days after my ct scan, was my doctor's appointment. my doctor is a gentle, soft-spoken woman who is quick to smile and has an easy way about her. even when my stomach is in knots, she calms me. today as soon as she had shaken my hand and greeted kelly she said, "the ct results look great!" after that statement, she could have said that little green men from mars had just overtaken the white house and i wouldn't have batted an eyelash. all i heard was the good news. it was such a relief after the emotional state i had fluffed up in myself this weekend.

even more good news...i don't have to go back to the oncologist for an entire year and i don't have to have another colonoscopy until late 2007. although i am a fervent believer in the power of the colonoscopy (have you had your's?) i can honestly say i don't look forward to that test.

i think i may take the afternoon off to celebrate! champagne, anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Whew* I am so happy for you. *Cheers* to health! Now, where's that glass of champagne?!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Heidi! This is very good news!

Oh. By the way. Large green aliens have invaded the White House. I thought that you noticed... :-)

MB Shaw said...

Hooray!!! I am so happy to hear your news and cannot imagine how emotional this must be. Woo hoo!!!